Looking for a fun and affordable way to celebrate with your loved ones? Cooking up heart-shaped recipes is a great DIY solution to spending time together and have a delicious treat to share in the end. Create masterpieces with a little extra love from the heart. From cookies to kabobs, pizza to pies, and french toast to french fries there is no better way to celebrate.
Heart-Shaped French Fries
Think outside the box with these heart-shaped french fries. Perfect to accompany a burger or other main dish.
What you’ll need:
- 4 large baking potatoes
- Oil for Frying
- Be sure to thoroughly clean your potatoes before slicing them.
- Slice large unpeeled potatoes 1/8-inch thick. Then take a 3 inch cookie cutter heart and place it into the 1/8 inch slice to make a heart-shaped potato. Place the cut potatoes in a bowl of ice water for up to 8 hours in the refrigerator to release some the starch.
- Heat oil over medium-low heat until it reaches 325°F in a large pot.
- Drain water from cut fries; wrap fries in a clean towel and pat dry.
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add fries, a few at a time. Stir occasionally until they are soft and begin to turn a light golden color, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove from oil and set potatoes on paper towels to drain. Let rest for at least 10 minutes or up to 2 hours.
- When ready to eat, reheat the oil to 350°F. Place the potatoes in the hot oil and fry again, stirring frequently, until golden brown and puffed, about 1 minute. Transfer to paper towel lined plate and sprinkle with salt.
Looking for a main dish? Heart-shaped pizza is sure to please. Whether you want a personal size pizza or one to share, heart-shaped pizza can be sculpted in varying sizes.
What you’ll need:
- Pizza dough
- Pizza sauce
- Mozzarella cheese
- Pizza toppings
- Place dough on floured counter and roll flat into desired pizza size (for small pizzas, separate dough into smaller sections).
- Make an indent at the top of the dough and pinch the bottom to create a heart shape.
- Add desired amount of sauce and cheese.
- Finish pizza with favorite toppings.
- Place in oven and bake according to dough package directions.
Want to satisfy a sweet tooth? Try creating heart-shaped cookies in all kinds of flavor variations.
What you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs and milk, beating until blended.
- Combine flour and next 3 ingredients. Add to butter mixture, beating at low speed just until blended; stir in lemon rind and juice. Divide dough into 4 equal portions; wrap each in plastic wrap, and chill at least 2 hours or up to 6 hours.
- Roll 1 dough portion to a 1/4-inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a 3-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, and place on lightly greased baking sheets. Repeat procedure with remaining dough portions.
- Bake at 350° for 8 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned on bottoms. Let cool on baking sheets 2 minutes; remove to wire racks, and cool 20 minutes or until completely cool.
Don’t forget to share these ideas with your loved ones, maybe they’ll be inspired to make other heart-shaped creations, be sure to tag us in your photos on social media!
Not very cook savvy? Check out these Florida restaurants for top dining out alternatives.